God’s Family Dinner serves a free hot meal to approximately 200 people each Thursday evening; there are no requirements or restrictions – everyone is welcome. Since the ministry began in 2004, we have served over 145,000 free meals to hungry souls. Each week, we need at least 12 volunteers to serve the food, greet guests, and clean up from 4:30 to 6:30 PM. Six of the volunteers serve the food by placing it on dishes and the other six serve the meals to the guests. Additional volunteers are always welcome; they can help with serving drinks and visiting with the guests. Some tasks have more interaction with guests, and some have little or none–we’re happy to put people to work where they feel most comfortable and useful, although our priority is always to cover the 12 serving positions.
This ministry has a great need for volunteers and operates 50 weeks out of the year. We are closed during the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas, but are open on Thursdays the other 50 weeks of the year.
Among our regular volunteers the last several years have been Hope Presbyterian Church, Highland Park Baptist Church, Congregation Agudas Achim, Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church, University Presbyterian Church, Nueces Street Mosque, Muslim space, college groups from Hillel and UT International, and various youth groups from churches and organizations within and outside of Austin.
To sign up to serve, follow these steps:
(1) Go to the Care Calendar at http://carecalendar.org
(2) Log on using this information: Calendar ID: 80598, Security Code: 9350
(3) On the calendar, look for the date where you want to volunteer. Needs that have already been filled are in green; unfilled needs appear in red. Click on the need (in red) you would like to fill.
(4) In the “Helper Signup” section, enter your name, affiliation, phone, and email.
(5) Click the Sign Up button.