Senior Pastor Leadership Profile
The University Baptist Church of Austin seeks a full-time senior pastor who will help the congregation to flourish through meaningful worship services, compassionate pastoral care, and the cultivation of each person’s gifts as we seek to embody the love of Jesus Christ. The pastor will embrace the church’s tradition of inclusiveness, its ministries to the marginalized in our neighborhood, and its commitment to social justice. The pastor will foster a welcoming and affirming environment for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, ability, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The pastor will support and strengthen our existing partnerships with nearby communities of faith. Some of these partnerships, such as our joint youth ministry with two other churches, focus on the spiritual development of our members. Others are oriented toward ministries with the homeless and disadvantaged in our neighborhood.
The pastor will take initiative to build new relationships with individuals and organizations that are passionate about transforming lives in our community. The pastor will be encouraged to reach out to students, faculty, and staff at the University of Texas, where a variety of disciplines and organizations are exploring new ways to create a more just society.
The ability to establish and nurture relationships will be crucial for leading the church forward. The pastor will listen carefully and respectfully, identify shared values and goals, and build consensus around effective ways of working together for the benefit of our community.
- Master of Divinity, doctorate, or a theological equivalent from an accredited seminary or academic institution
- Experienced as a minister in a church
- Ordained as a Christian minister
- Leadership in an ecumenically minded church with a congregational polity
- Working with diverse populations in urban ministry, reaching across racial, ethnic, gender, and religious boundaries.
- Working with LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Engaging the church in spiritual growth, including growth of its membership
- Managing a staff
- Oversight of administrative aspects and stewardship of the church and its resources
- Nurturing leadership development among staff and laity
Desired Leadership Styles and Attributes
- Exemplifies a life of spiritual practice rooted in the Christian faith
- Collaborative, flexible, responsive to change
- Patient, nurturing, able to recognize and encourage the gifts of others
- Engaging and active presence in the ministries of the church (music, outreach, other programs)
- Gregarious, confident, optimistic, outgoing
- Strong communicator, both oral and written
- Able to articulate with passion and energy the church’s shared vision
- Able to inspire and organize the church body to implement actions and programs around a shared vision
- Preaching and teaching based on solid scholarship
- Curious, willing to engage the unknown
- Vibrant location in downtown Austin across the street from the University of Texas
- Full health coverage
- Competitive salary and retirement package
- Opportunity to work with a strongly committed congregation of justice-oriented believers
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.