The Interim Search Committee – Bradley Pounds, Chair, Maria Elmshauser, Ann Friou, Beverly Gavenda, Charles Locklin, Mac McKaskle, and Richard Moore – have contacted numerous sources and followed up on diverse recommendations to find the right transitional leader for our unique church. We are excited to recommend the Rev. Mr. Arthur Lee Tredwell to be called as the Intentional Interim Pastor of University Baptist Church.
Mr. Tredwell will visit UBC on Sunday May 21, visit with church members at the beginning of the Bible Study hour and will preach during morning Worship. During the regular Church Conference following Worship, the church will vote on the recommendation to call a Mr. Tredwell as our Intentional Interim Pastor and follow his leadership in the transitional process.
On Sunday, May 7 and Sunday, May 14, members of the Interim Search Committee will be present during caffeinated conversations at 10:30 a.m. in the fellowship Hall to answer members’ questions about Mr. Tredwell and the Transitional Process.
Mr. Tredwell’s resume follows:
ARTHUR L. TREDWELL
1441 S. Ulster St.
Denver, CO 80213
Transitional Ministries, Positions engaging Transformative Social Change, Religion, Theology, Humanities, Social Sciences, or 21St Century Leadership
Ph.D., Candidate, Joint Program Iliff School of Theology and Denver University, 2017
Concentration: Religion and Social Change, ABD.
Dissertation: Black, Queer and Blessed: Toward a Biblically Based Queer Theology
M.A., Religion and Theology, June 2006
Concentration: Biblical Interpretation/ Postcolonial Hermeneutics
Harvard University: Harvard Divinity School Summer Leadership Institute, 2000
B.S., Political Science and History, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
AREAS OF TEACHING COMPETENCE:
Primary: Twenty-First Century Leadership, Interdisciplinary Approaches to Biblical Texts, Religion Race Class and Gender, Power Privilege and Oppression, Gay Theologies, Postcolonial Thought, Theology and Sexuality, Black and White Male Masculinities, African American Church Studies, Black and Womanist Theologies, Homiletics and Black Preaching, African American Sexuality Discourse, Constructive Theology, African American History, Epistemology, Jeremiah from Post-Colonial Perspective, Institutional Transformation.
Secondary: African Religions of the Caribbean, Biblical Theology, Comparative Religious Study, Theology of African American Spirituals, Ethics, Biblical Hermeneutics, Sociology of Religions.
Adjunct Professor, 2010 -2016
Iliff School of Theology, 2011 – Present
African American Preaching – Dr. Albert Hernandez, Dean
University of Colorado, Boulder, Fall and Spring, 2010-2015
Foundations of 21st Century Leadership – Ann Scarritt, Program Manager
Charismatic Leadership, Power Privilege and Oppression
Epistemology/Ways of Knowing – Julia K. Willis Ph.D., Program Manager
Advanced Writing and Research: Narrative, Multicultural Topics, and
CU Succeed – West High School, Denver, 2013-15
Introduction to Ethnic Studies
African American History 1916-Present
University of Denver, Women’s College, Spring 2013
Comparative Religion – Lynn M. Gangone, Dean
Teaching Assistant, 2006 – 2010
Preaching Contemporary Social Issues – Prof. Eunjoo Kim, Iliff School of Theology
Introduction to Christian Worship – Prof. Eunjoo Kim, Iliff School of Theology
Black Theology – Prof. Edward Antonio, Iliff School of Theology (Research Assistant)
African American Spirituals – Prof. Arthur Jones, University of Denver
Death and Dying in Hindu Traditions – Prof. Ginni Ishimatsu – University of Denver
The Birth of Rock and Roll – University of Denver
Christian Ethics – Prof. Sharon Tan, Dean, United Theological Seminary
Calvary Baptist Church of Denver, 2016
Cleaves Memorial Chapel, 2014
I am the True Vine
Iliff School of Theology, Chapel Speaker, 2013 and 2014
Transformative Ministry: Taking the Next Step (2014)
Iliff School of Theology, Introduction to Christian Worship
Tantur Institute, Jerusalem, Israel, 2012 and 2013
Worship in the African American Church, 2011-2013
The Theology of African American Spirituals and Gospel
Regional American Academy of Religion, St. Paul, MN, 2006
Postcolonial Biblical Interpretation of Jeremiah 28
October, 2009 African American Church History – Prof. Vincent Harding
April, 2010 Construction and Performance of Black Male Masculinities – Prof. E. Walls
August, 2010 Homiletics and Black Preaching – Prof. Eunjoo Kim
AWARDS AND HONORS:
– Second Ordination, Calvary Baptist Church of Denver, August, 2016
– Urban Ministry Scholar, Iliff School of Theology, 2008 & 2009
- Biblical Interpretation, United Theological Seminary, 2006
- Ethics, United Theological Seminary, 2006
- Social Justice and Biblical Interpretation, United Theological Seminary, 2006
English (First Language)
Transition Ministries Pastor, American Baptist Churches, USA
American Academy of Religion
National Association of Pan African Seminarians – Iliff School of Theology
Academy of Homiletics
Pastor, Christ Temple
- Founding Pastor, 1998; led congregation of 125 predominantly African American and Liberian families; planned and implemented Sunday Worship services; guided Christian education, social service and economic development activities; directed church and ministry leaders; conducted missionary relief services to Liberia; guided provision of weekly health and nutrition clinics sponsored by Stair Step Foundation; and provided counseling to church members. Supervised five staff members.
- In January 2004, at the end of their civil war, expanded missionary partnerships to Liberia establishing affiliation with five major indigenous churches in the greater Monrovia area.
Executive Director and Board Chair, Exodus Community Development Company
- Founded Exodus in 1991; led administrative and on-site staff; oversaw organization’s daily operations; created and helped implement strategy, policy and evaluation; represented Exodus to the public; developed over 130 affordable housing units in African American and diverse-income communities; implemented programs that provided services sustaining the self-sufficiency of over 100 families; and helped at-risk families find independence by linking them with community resources. Secured operational funds in excess of $3.6 million and developed three capital projects totaling $4.5 million.
- Established, Exodus S.A.(located in Johannesburg, S.A .,2000-03) to explore economic development among indigenous churches in Durban, East London and Port Elizabeth.
Countywide H.S Planner, Ramsey County Community Human Services
- Helped establish African American Adoption Project in 1998; increased the adoptive placement of African American children; and coordinated policy interaction among Ramsey and Hennepin Counties and the Department of Human Services. Secured $1.1 million in Federal and foundation support.
Liaison to Foundation Community, Catholic Charities
- Coordinated application processes and proposals of four major Divisions to ensure a unified response to Grants, Foundation Initiatives and Request for Proposals from County and City. Secured $4.5 million in grants and contracts.
International Grain Merchant, Cargill Inc.
1973-1983 Senior Merchandizing Director
- Merchandized products and raw material of the soybean complex, beans, meal, oil, and hulls, nationally and internationally. Managed storage facilities, barges and vessel shipments from southern ports of New Orleans, Gretna and East Coast ports of Norfolk, Virginia and Albany, New York.
- Board Member, Math Literacy Project, Denver, CO
- Board Member, National Association Pan African Seminarians
- Board Member, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Funding Council
- Board Member, Minneapolis Ministerial Alliance
- Board Member, African American Men’s Planning Council
- Consultant, McKnight Foundation
- Board Member, Ramsey County Mental Health Council
- Board Member, Partners in Ecumenism, Council of Churches
- Community Rep. Black Church Council, Bethel College
- Community Advisor, The Bush Foundation, St. Paul
- Community Advisor, The McKnight Foundation, Minneapolis
- Community Advisor, The Minneapolis Foundation
- Board Member, W.G. Battle Education Center, Port au Prince, Haiti
- Board Member, Ntombela Ministries, Durban, S.A.
- Board Member, Kromah Ministries, Monrovia, Liberia
- Volunteer Chaplain, Hennepin County Work House
- Volunteer Chaplain, Red Wing Correctional (Youth)
- Board Member, Suburban Youth Education Council
- Board Member, Community Action Suburban Hennepin County
- Volunteer, United Way Planning Council, St. Paul
- Volunteer, United Way Planning Council, Minneapolis
- Community Representative, Black Church Council, Bethel College
- Volunteer Chaplain, Hennepin County Correctional Facility