University Baptist Church, Austin, TX
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Job Classification: Full-Time, Salary
University Baptist Church is seeking a full-time Associate Pastor to join in our work promoting justice and love in our community. Responsibilities include leading youth and children’s ministries, coordinating intergenerational spiritual formation opportunities, managing the benevolence program, and providing pastoral care and leadership to the congregation in collaboration with and under the supervision of the Senior Pastor.
UBC is a community that is “rooted in faith, progressive in action.” The Associate Pastor will embrace the church’s tradition of inclusiveness, its ministries to the marginalized in our neighborhood, and its commitment to social justice. The Associate Pastor will foster a welcoming and affirming environment for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, ability, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Please send resume, cover letter, and references to Rev. Natalie Webb – firstname.lastname@example.org by September 5th, 2021.
Youth and Children’s Ministries
- Recruit and train adult volunteers to lead spiritual formation opportunities for children and youth, including Sunday school;
- Research and provide curriculum for youth and children’s spiritual formation;
- Create opportunities to include children and youth in the worshipping life of the larger church;
- Develop and plan the youth and children’s budgets in collaboration with coordinators;
- Coordinate with adult volunteers and partner congregational leaders to plan and implement youth group programming through the school year;
- Collaborate with church camping partners through the Southwest Baptist Camping Association;
- Organize and supervise paid and unpaid child care workers for church meetings, worship services, and church-wide events;
- Maintain and update child protective policies, risk management policies, and medical consent and release records for children and youth programs; and
- Provide pastoral care to children, youth, and their families.
Spiritual Formation and Connection
- Plan and implement comprehensive Spiritual Formation programming for adults including Sunday School, special series, events, and lectures in coordination with the Senior Pastor and Spiritual Formation Director;
- Work with Senior Pastor to assess spiritual formation needs of congregation and parish;
- Engage members in vocational discernment;
- Organize church-wide community-building events and programs; and
- Collaborate with ministerial staff to plan and execute innovative worship and formation opportunities outside of the regular worship schedule.
Other Pastoral Responsibilities
- Provide pastoral care to members as assigned by the Senior Pastor;
- Assist in creating meaningful weekly worship experiences;
- Create and curate meaningful content for use in internal and external communication, including social media;
- Provide staff support for the church leadership and existing structures;
- Perform and coordinate weddings and funerals in the absence of the Senior Pastor or at the request of members of the church;
- Manage the benevolence program;
- Represent UBC in justice and advocacy work; and
- Preach eight to twelve times a year.
- Perform duties and conducts self with the highest degree of professionalism;
- Provide spiritual guidance and vision to the church;
- Willing to experiment with new ideas;
- Seek collaboration with church staff and lay coordinators.
- M.Div. with a minimum of three years of ministerial experience;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written; and
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.